Friday, November 15, 2013

Don't Lose The Lesson



We all experience pain of some sort in this lifetime . . . physical, emotional, mental and even spiritual. None of us can escape it.  None of us are exempt.  Pain is simply part of the human condition.

"Behind every beautiful thing, there's some kind of pain."
- Bob Dylan

After suffering for nearly four years with a debilitating, chronic pain condition, I had a very intimate relationship with pain.  What started out as physical pain, transformed and became all-encompassing, affecting me on every level of my being.  In fact, it seemed that pain not only defined me . . . it defined my entire life.  Physically, my aching body could no longer participate in even the most basic activities without extreme discomfort.  Emotionally, I felt withdrawn from the people I loved most and my relationships became strained . . . distant.  Mentally, I forced myself each day to try to maintain some sense of normalcy both personally and professionally; and every day I felt like I failed miserably.  Spiritually, my faith wavered as my condition lingered and worsened.  No matter what I did or how hard I tried, I couldn't perceive anything but pain.

"The wound is the place where the light enters you."
- Rumi

As a result of a proper diagnosis and treatment, I can thankfully say that I am no longer affected by my chronic pain condition.  What I learned during this journey is that pain, no matter the type, is neither good nor bad.  All pain has a lesson within it.

"The unending paradox is that we do learn through pain."
- Madeleine L'Engle

"The cure for pain is in the pain."
-Rumi

If we push ourselves too hard, engage in vigorous activity or neglect our health, our body responds with physical pain.  If we interact or engage in relationships that leave us feeling unfulfilled or unappreciated, we experience emotional pain. Pain is an indicator to pay attention and to act.

"Pain will leave you, when you let go."
- Jeremy Aldana

Too often, we go through painful times or circumstances and once it's over, we continue to hold on to the pain.  Sometimes we hold onto the pain so tightly that we miss the lesson completely.

"Turn your wounds into wisdom."
- Oprah Winfrey

I could have chosen to let those four years of pain continue to define me long after the discomfort ended. I could have chosen to look back in anger over the struggle and hurt, but that would be pointless.  That time has passed and cannot be changed.  I, however, can change and am changed because of my experience.

The next time life challenges you and pain surfaces, remember to pay attention, look within, act, and don't lose sight of the lesson because you're distracted by or can't let go of the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment